Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Change - It Happens!


I hear this statement a lot. If one asks me if I agree with it I will say yes without blinking. Now, if the question is "How do you react to change in your life?"...well, I have to think about that one. I think about in what areas of my life am I resistant to change and then ask myself why.

I grew up as an Army brat from the age of three. I moved constantly until I was 21 years of age. The experience afforded me a lot of gifts such as visiting other places in the world, meeting people from other states/countries, learning different customs/languages, eating different foods, making new friends, etc. Generally, I learned the art of adapting. I adapted to change. I expected it in my life. What I didn't realize was I ended up closing myself off intimately from others. This was especially true in situations of intimacy with a friend or a lover. I was unconsciously protecting myself from being hurt as the signals in my brain told me "things change" from living a life of constant "uprooting". I let people get to know me and I them but there was always something I kept to myself and wouldn't let anyone in to touch it. About six years ago someone very close to me shared with me his observation that I had a lot of people who thought they knew me but hardly any close friends that I could turn to in times of trouble, He commented how sad he felt it was. At first, I was in denial, strenuously trying to prove him wrong. I failed miserably at making my case. Eventually, I began to ponder how I could be known by so many yet not really "known" at all. As I sat with this new found "rawness" I realized I was the common denominator. I was responsible for my experience. I remembered my life traveling around and how that felt. I began to desperately think of any times I really let someone in. I realized that there were a couple times in my life where I had. It felt so good and a tad bit scary when it happened. Then I remembered how the rest of it began to unravel and thought about why. What I realized was to the degree I was opening up to someone was the degree of attachment I was feeling. The attachment became so strong that as the relationship changed I found it nearly impossible to adjust. The attachment trumped all the years I spent adapting growing up. It's as if the pendulum swung completely the other way.

I still deal with attachment issues today although I'm quicker to realize them as they began to show up than I was six years ago. I have some great friends that don't hesitate to remind me and I'm thankful! For me, I do meditations, visioning, prayer, and ask for prayer support. Asking for support was a big step for me but really opened the doors to greater, deeper connections with people. I took myself to a therapist who I worked with for almost a year. Man, I didn't know how much this boy could cry! I used to make bets with myself that I wouldn't "lose" it in the next session. At the time, I felt so much attachment to someone I thought I would break. I now know that attachment is the stumbling block when adapting to change in one's life. We can be attached to so many things; a person, a place, a job, a thing, etc. Many times we don't even realize how much we are attached. I often think of a strong, tall tree that has mastered the ability to sway with the winds of change whether it be a slight breeze or a full on storm. If this stately tree had not learned to bend in the storms it surely would have snapped.

The following is a great video acted and sung by Margaret Owens . I was blessed with the opportunity to sing backup for her in October of 2008. This video portrays really well how attachment can show up in our lives. I love the song she sings reminding us all to live "Big"



So, the nature of the Universe is change, It happens all around us, every moment. Everything is static. I invite you to look at if you are feeling attachment to something and then ask yourself why? You might be surprised at what comes up. I know I have been and still sometimes am. Most importantly, remember to love yourself through the process. Give yourself props! It takes courage to look at one's self.

Honoring your path,
Stephen

2 comments:

  1. Such a great question to ask - what am I attached to? Just contemplating the question offers doors of freedom. Thank you Stephen for sharing your path! Atara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading it and taking the time to comment.

    ReplyDelete