Thursday, July 2, 2009

Relaxing In The Midst of Chaos


So, the last post I wrote about was "Change - It Happens". This post is building upon that statement. The Universe is static so change is constant. Practicing the Buddhist concept of non-attachment is a priceless skill to master or at the very least to attempt. In this practice we are called to rest in the in-between state, the not knowing. I like to call it "sitting with it". I let it be and become like an observer. It doesn't mean I don't have feelings about it or try to squelch them. For example, if it's heartache, I let the ache happen, the tears flow, the nose run. At the same time I'm observing it and being gentle with myself. I try to lean into the fear, the dissappointment, the anger, the pain, the jealousy, whatever it may be instead of running away from it with some sort of addictive behavior. I've found that giving in to addictive behavior usually creates other things to deal with like a hangover for example. So, now I would have a horrendous headache on top of the raw emotions that never really went away! I am reminded that all the places where I don't feel good are actually an opportunity for growth (ok...no eye rolling!). I have to remind myself that reaching one's limit is not a punishment as I don't believe in a punishing God. Instead, I remember it's an opportunity for surrender, to face our fears, our "demons" and stop struggling. The saying "What you resist, persists" would apply here. I often visualize something I felt as a young boy when I was body surfing in the ocean. I saw where I could choose to rest calmly on the sandy ocean floor as the waves were beginning to churn above me much like a "stormy sea" metaphor or I could get caught up in the fray and quite possibly have the waves engulf me and slam me to the shoreline. I remember just lying on the floor of the ocean pondering that thought. So, as chaos shows up I choose to rest calmly on the "ocean floor" instead of the sea of turmoil above me. I'm not always successful but I keep practicing.

Here's another video from one of my favorite inspirational singers, Margaret Owens. This is from her "Seeking My Good" series. She starts the video discussing the uncomfortable task of divorce logistics with her soon to be ex-husband. The song she sings next is a beautiful illustration of going within, facing the fears, and trusting. For people that are in the Seattle area, Margaret will be performing at The Center of Spiritual Living in Seattle on Aug 30th.



As life's chaos shows up in your life...and it will unless you're an ascended master of sorts, practice sitting with the uncomfortableness, surrender to the feelings of fear, anger, sadness, jealousy, whatever. By surrender I don't mean act on them. I mean just allow yourself to feel and observe yourself as you are feeling them. The more you do this you may just see that they hold less and less power in your life which frees you to be more content and access the Love you desire. I am doing the same.

A poem by Rumi:

"One went to the door of the Beloved and
knocked. A voice asked, 'Who is there?'
He answered, 'It is I.'
The voice said, 'There is no room for Me and Thee.'
The door was shut.

After a year of solitude and deprivation he returned and knocked.
A voice from within asked, 'Who is there?'
The man said, 'It is Thee.'
The door was opened for him."



Honoring your courage and holding Loving Kindness for all,
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment