Friday, July 3, 2009

A Declaration of Independence


Tomorrow is July 4th and the day citizens of the US of A celebrate the Declaration of Independence. I started to think today about what my own personal Declaration of Independence would look like. My disclaimer is that it's more of a wishlist at this point but one has to begin somewhere.

One of the first things I think about is independence from anyone else for my happiness and security. When I think of a relationship I often imagine myself as a tall, solid tree (I know...here I go with the tree metaphors again...hey I live in the NW, ok!). I am standing next to another tall, solid tree. Our branches intertwine with each other and all sorts of life is supported by our interconnection. What is key is that we stand strong on our own and don't need each other to continue to exist. Our individual roots go deep and are fully formed. Our beauty is fully expressed individually. Our connection supports the higher good for both. Neither robs the other of their dignity or ever contributes to either feeling less.

I declare my independence from lack. I remember that the Universe is endless abundance. There is no "lack" in the mind of God. I commit to remembering this Truth when I'm feeling any kind of lack in finances, love, health, etc.

I declare my independence from anyone else's expectation of me. I commit to standing in my Truth and to not be swayed by others agenda.

I declare my independence from fear of failure. I remember that "failure" is a judgement and most likely one I have placed on myself as I'm my harshest critic. I remember that the act of trying is the gift whether I succeed or not.

I declare my independence from all that isn't supporting my "Highest Good", whatever that might be.

Another great video of acting and song by Margaret Owens. She wonders aloud why her neighbor doesn't make the choice to leave an abusive relationship all the while knowing that her own relationship isn't working. Margaret will be singing at The Center For Spiritual Living in Seattle on Aug 30th.



I'm sure there are other "declarations" I can make as I think about it more but this is a good start. This is the beginning of me seeking my good. I invite you to make your own list and pay attention to what comes up for you.

Happy Independence,
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment