Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Reconciling Change and The Desire For Consistency


I think many of us have a desire for consistency in our lives. It's obvious when times are good that we want it to continue, be consistently good. The rub is that change happens much like the bumper sticker "Shift Happens". One of the only things truly consistent is change. Change can knock us out of that consistently good pattern to where we feel confused, lost, angry, lonely, sad, etc. We may began to feel that things are consistently bad and we hurt. The key is realizing that we are at choice. It's our resistance to change that is causing the suffering. This is where the practice of non-attachment would be a valuable tool. I don't mean to suggest that consistency is an obstacle in our personal growth. Consistency with one's word and deeds is worthy and necessary goal for example. I do believe however, that our desire for consistency can sometimes cause us to resist change and we suffer.

I believe there is a sub-component to consistency that can contribute to us being "stuck" and that is familiarity. We can be in an unhealthy situation such as a relationship, a job, etc. We may be smart enough to recognize this and even realize that the best thing would be to step out of the toxicity. Our fear of what that next step might look or feel like causes us to take comfort by retreating back to the familiarity of the situation. We know what to expect because it's...wait for it...consistent!

The video by Margaret Owens illustrates change and ends with a powerful song about accepting a "New Day". Catch this amazing singer/actress/songwriter @ The Center of Spiritual Living in Seattle on Aug 30th.



I felt compelled to address the topics of change and consistency as I'm struggling with decisions myself. One thing that I'm remembering is to be kind to myself and not to adhere to anyone else's timetable or agenda no matter how much I may respect or care for them. I'm clear that asking for prayer support is an essential component in my path and as Margaret Owens reminds me in the preceding video that God (Universe, Spirit, etc) can only do for me what it can do through me. I commit to staying open for my Greater Good to manifest.

Sitting in the "not knowing",
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment