Friday, June 26, 2009

Be That Which You Want To Attract


Ok...I must confess I've heard this more than a few times! I never really put it into a consistently conscious practice though. It didn't matter whether it was an intention of Love, Joy, Wisdom, Prosperity, etc. It sounded okay but the few times I've committed to walking the path in regards to a romantic relationship I've found myself facing old habits and giving into them. For me, the practice started off great but then I found myself expecting to be treated the same way in return with very little grace when I felt I wasn't. I would feel sadness that I wasn't attracting the person that I had imagined and anger that I deserved better. I would see a beautiful sunset and feel an overwhelming sadness that I didn't have that special someone in my life to share the moment with instead of just appreciating and being thankful for the awesome display of nature in front of me. I realize now the key is not to have an expectation about how it will show up and/or with whom. OK, ok...I know...much easier said than done but I'm a big proponent of including Ease in my prayers and intentions. Who said everything has to be difficult. We don't get "God" points for being a martyr. I think I've fallen into the trap that if isn't a challenge then it's not the "one" or the "thing" I intended for. I'm reminded of a line from the movie Sordid Lives,"Get off the cross, we need the wood"! Of course, the guy in the movie being told this had two wooden legs...but I digress!

Another gift I've received was remembering to be conscious of hanging around the people that are living the life I've intended for. For example, if it's a special someone you want to be in a romantic relationship with then hang around people that are in a healthy relationship. Too often we use the mirror of someone else's happiness to remind ourselves of what we don't have instead of what we desire to have. We avoid couples if it's a relationship we want and don't have, we avoid wealthy people if we are feeling financial lack, etc. We surround ourselves with unhappy folks, i.e. single people that we can piss and moan with about our failed relationships and "that there's nobody out there" or hang around people in the same dire financial straits when we are feeling "poor". In actuality, I believe when we do that we are unconsciously telling the Universe that we are happy with the way things are ...in fact, how about some more! The Universe (Spirit, God...) is an unbiased and universal giver. It doesn't hold back because one is putting out an unconscious thought instead of a conscious one. To be conscious of your thoughts regarding your intentions is to allow the people that are living the life you desire to be mental equivalents. Let them be the out-picturing of your intentions instead of someone to avoid.

So I invite you to do a little inventory about what you want in your life, what expectations you have, and who you are consistently hanging around with. I'm recommitting to doing the same!

With Loving Kindness and an Eager Heart,
Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment